The Dave Smith Youth Treatment Centre develops yearly reports that offer a summary of its client profile.
Client profile of those served by the Dave Smith Youth Treatment Centre in 2013.
Family / Living Environment
- 62% reported weekly alcohol use in the home;
- 49% reported weekly drug use in the home;
- 85% reported having runaway and/or been homeless.
- 80% reported starting using substances prior to their 15th birthday;
- 90% perceived their substance use as a problem;
- 98% perceived the need for treatment;
- 19% required withdrawal management services prior to admission to residential treatment;
- 83% reported a desire for abstinence OR to reduce their substance use by 80% or more;
- 98% reported using substances AT LEAST weekly, including: marijuana (78%), alcohol (57%), heroin/other opioids (32%), crack/cocaine (26%), tobacco (91%) and other substances (47%).
- 98% suffer from a co-occurring mental health condition, including: major depression (89%), conduct disorder (84%), traumatic stress disorder (78%), ADD/HD (70%), and generalized anxiety (57%).
- 72% reported self-harming behaviors or suicide attempt in the past year.
- 73% reported involvement in the criminal justice system;
- 40% reported current involvement.
High Risk Behaviours in the past 90 days
- 22% used needles to inject substances;
- 69% had unprotected sex.
- 45% had been suspended and/or expelled from school in the past year.